Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 users can now upgrade their phone to the latest MIUI V5 (version 4.7.25) official custom ROM based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS. Apart from offering the latest MIUI V5 experience on top of Android KitKat, version 4.7.25 Developer Version brings a slew of UI overhauls, bug fixes and feature enhancements (full changelog given below). In this article, I’ve put together an elaborated step-by-step tutorial on how to upgrade your GS3 smartphone to this custom ROM. Just make sure you’ve carefully all the prerequisites twice so that you don’t get your phone screwed up with a void warranty.
For those who didn’t know or weren’t sure, MIUI (pronounced Me-You-I) is Xiaomi Tech’s proprietary Android-based user interface (somewhat similar to Huawei Emotion UI) that features colorful icon packs, smooth animations, streamlined interface, exceptional performance and above all, hardcore stability. If you’re a person who likes experimenting with different ROMs & firmware then I’d definitely recommend you to take it for a spin too. Enough chatter, let’s go to work!
Download Android 4.4.2 MIUI V5 (4.7.25) Custom ROM
- Model: GT-I9300
- Device: Galaxy S3
- Android Version: v4.4.2 KitKat
- ROM: MIUI V5
- Firmware Build: 4.7.25
- Date: 25-07-14
Download Links: Click here (Size: 468MB) to download the official Android 4.4.2 KitKat MIUI V5 (build 4.7.25) custom ROM for your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300.
MIUI V5 (4.7.25) Changelog
- Addition of Xunlei download accelerator
- Revamped layout of Saver app UI
- Bug-fixes for power saving mode, call volume settings, booting music with default theme, etc
- Feature optimisations for Mail app
- Fix for time information recognition in Messages
- Stability improvements and performance enhancements
Install MIUI V5 (4.7.25) Custom ROM on Galaxy S3
- International variant of Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300)
- A USB cable and latest Samsung USB drivers installed on PC
- Stock JellyBean firmware installed on Galaxy S3
- Root access and custom recovery (CWM, TWRP) installed on phone
- At least a single backup of phone EFS data files
- Full backup of phone’s internal memory including preferences, app data, contacts, messages, and other important data. I’d recommend you to create Nandroid backup image using CWM’s backup utility.
Disclaimer: This is not an official firmware from Samsung and although it has been fully tested by MIUI developers to work on Galaxy S3 I9300, I still won’t be held liable for any kind of data loss or device malfunctions during or after the upgrade. Proceed after doing requisite research and carefully weighing all the risks and benefits!
2. Installation Procedure
- Download the aforementioned ROM package on your PC.
- Connect your GS3 to the PC via a USB cable as a mass storage device.
- Copy the “miui_i9300_lushengduan_4.7.25_1265dd1244_4.4.zip” to the root directory of your phone’s SD card.
- After that, disconnect the USB cable and turn off your phone.
- Next, reboot into Recovery Mode by holding Volume Up + Home + Power buttons simultaneously. You can navigate using Volume keys and power button.
- Select “wipe data/factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” options to completely wipe out all the garbage.
- Now navigate to advanced > wipe dalvik cache to clear the data stored for pre-existing apps. This step will help you avoid all the unnecessary bootloops.
- After that, return to the main menu, select “install zip from SD card” and choose “miui_i9300_lushengduan_4.7.25_1265dd1244_4.4.zip” to initiate the upgrade process.
- Upon completion, reboot normally and wait for the system to finalize the installation during the first boot. It can take upto 5 minutes.
Restore all the data and EFS files in the new ROM. If you still encounter cellular connectivity issues, then I’m afraid you’ll have to roll back to the previous OS by either using Odin or the Nandroid system image you stored earlier. If you face any issues regarding the upgrade, don’t hesitate to mention it in the comments below!
Like this post? Don’t forget to comment! Just hit the share buttons below to share this article with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.