Full specifications sheet and a supposed mockup of what appears to be HTC’s upcoming 8.9-inch Nexus tablet (codenamed Volantis/Flounder) have been leaked out online by Android Police. This alleged tablet, named HTC Nexus 9, is said to feature a 64-bit NVIDIA Tegra SoC that probably runs Android Lollipop OS, an 8.9 inches display panel with 281 ppi pixel density and 2GB of RAM.
HTC Nexus 9 Specifications
- Display: 8.9-inch capacitive touchscreen, 2048 x 1440 pixels resolution, Pixel Density: 281ppi, 4:3 aspect ratio
- Operating System: Android Lollipop OS
- Camera: 8 MegaPixel rear camera with OIS, 3MP front camera
- Dimensions: 8.91″ x 5.98″ x 0.31″ (inches), weighs 418 grams (Wifi variant)/427 grams (LTE variant). Features Aluminum zero-gap construction with tapered-sides.
- Battery: N/A
- CPU: 64-bit NVIDIA Tegra K1 Chip (aka NVIDIA Logan)
- Memory: 16GB/32GB Internal memory, 2GB of RAM
- Connectivity: Bluetooth with A2DP, USB, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, GPRS, EDGE, GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS
- Extras: 3.5mm audio jack, MP4/WMV/H.264/H.263 player, MP3/AAC/WMA/WAV player, and other built-in games and apps. Front-facing stereo speakers.
- Network: 3G, 4G LTE
Nexus 9 is likely going to be HTC’s last Nexus tablet before the whole Nexus lineup gets replaced by premium smartphones of Google’s Android Silver project. Although, Android Police has extracted this information from trustworthy sources, some minor flaws do exist in this data. Firstly, 2048 x 1440 pixels resolution does not correspond to 4:3 aspect ratio and secondly, the prototype image above doesn’t appear to have the ‘so-called’ zero-gap Aluminum frame. As for the fault in aspect ratio, the leaker suggests that the presence of on-screen navigation buttons and the status bar account for the differences in resolution and aspect ratio.
The tablet looks rather like an over-stretched version of LG Nexus 5, doesn’t it? Since, this is only a prototype image I really don’t want you to go away with the idea that the final Nexus 9 will keep this atrocious design.
Pricing and Availability
Reports suggest that HTC Nexus 9 will be released in Q4 this year as the launch device for Android L’s launch. It will come in two variants – Wifi and LTE. The 16GB Wifi version will be available for $399 whereas 32GB version is going to cost $499. The LTE variant is rumored to be priced above $600. Nonetheless, this is only preliminary information and I recommend you take it with a pinch of salt – at least for a few months to come.
Source: Android Police
Like this post? Don’t forget to comment! Just hit the share buttons below to share this article with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.