Manually updating your Nexus device to the new Android 4.4.4 KitKat (KTU84P) update is extremely simple. Once you’ve download the right factory image file for your device, you can easily apply that update using a simple procedure given below. Currently, Android 4.4.4 OTA update is available only for Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2012 Wifi & cellular, Nexus 7 2013 (Wifi) and Nexus 10 devices.
Download Android 4.4.4 KitKat Factory Image
First of all, you will have to download the correct Android 4.4.4 KitKat factory image for your Nexus device. Check the model number of your device and then download the required factory image from this link: Download Official Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) OTA Factory Images for Nexus.
Manual Update Method
1. Update Requirements
- Android 4.4.3 KitKat OS
- Latest Android SDK (download here).
- Android 4.4.4 OTA Factory Image
- Fully charged device
- Latest USB drivers.
You are recommended to backup all your contacts, messages, accounts, apps and other important data before initiating this update.
2. Update Procedure
- Enable the ‘USB debugging’ mode in settings > development options.
- Place the downloaded factory image to the ‘platform-tools’ folder of Android SDK without unzipping it.
- Restart your device while holding volume down + volume up + power buttons.
- Open the ‘Recovery Mode’ by navigating using the volume buttons and selecting by the power button.
- When a Red exclamation mark appears on the screen, press the power button and then the volume up button to open ‘Recovery Menu’.
- Select ‘Apply Update from ADB’ option using the Power button.
- Then open cmd in the platform-tools folder on your PC.
- Perform ADB sideload by typing in the command prompt: “adb.exe sideload [complete namestring of the zipped file]. For example, in case of Nexus 7 2013 Wifi, type (without quotes): “adb.exe sideload razor-ktu84p-factory-b1b2c0da.tgz”
- After the installation, select “Reboot System” option and you’re done!
And you’re done! That was damn simple, wasn’t it?
You can download the latest compatible Binaries (drivers) for your Nexus device here.
Enjoy the new update!
Like this post? Don’t forget to comment! Just hit the share buttons below to share this article with your friends on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter.