Galaxy S2 users rejoice! CyanogenMod team has officially released the new CyanogenMod 11 custom ROM (nightly build) based on the latest Android 4.4.4 KitKat for Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100 International variant) users. You can easily download & install the CM11 Custom ROM on your Galaxy SII using the direct download links and a brief step-by-step tutorial given below.
Despite the fact that Samsung ended the software update support for its Galaxy S2 very long ago, the guys over at CyanogenMod still seem to be putting in quite a bit of effort in providing bleeding-edge upgrades for the years old Galaxy S2 – which should really be appreciated.
Download CM11 Android 4.4.4 ROM for GS2
Click here (203.16 MB – MD5 Hash: 19dfde4f728dc3009a7b681fc24c5427) to download Android 4.4.4 KitKat CyanogenMod 11 Nightly Build for the international variant of Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100. You can download all the recommended Android 4.4.4 Gapps (Google Apps) here – you’re gonna need to flash them again later.
CM11 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Upgrade Method
- International variant of Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100)
- Custom Recovery (like TWRP, CWM, etc.) installed with root access
- A USB cable with latest USB drivers installed on PC
- At least 70% battery left on your device
- A full backup of apps, contacts, messages, and other important data because your phone will entirely be wiped out during the upgrade process. You’re recommended to use Titanium Backup to store a copy of everything you have on your phone along with the Android system data.
Disclaimer: This is a nightly build of CM11 which means it can contain bugs that will interfere with your normal device usage. Do bear the fact in mind that I shall not be held responsible if you get your device bricked/malfunctioned at any point during the flashing process. And, oh yeah, always remember that you’ll lose your warranty as soon as you root your device, so proceed at your own risk!
All geared up? Get ready for the action…
Before you proceed with the actual upgrade, you’ll have to flash the latest version of Android KitKat-compatible recovery first. I’ll be using CWM in this procedure, other recoveries will work fine but do make sure that they’re compatible with CM11. Done? Good! Just follow the next steps.
i) Installing a KitKat-Compatible CWM Recovery (v.184.108.40.206)
- After you’ve downloaded the aforementioned CM11 package and GAPPS, download the ClockWorkMod v220.127.116.11 custom recovery.
- Connect your GS2 to PC via a USB cable.
- Copy “cm-11-20140727-NIGHTLY-i9100.zip”, Gapps and “CWM 18.104.22.168.zip” to the root drive of your phone’s SD card.
- Now, disconnect the USB cable and turn off your phone.
- Next, reboot into recovery mode by holding Volume Up + Home + Power Button simultaneously. In the CWM recovery menu, navigate using the Volume keys and select an option with Power button.
- Select “Choose Zip From SD Card” option and then select “CWM 22.214.171.124.zip” file. Choose Yes to install the new custom recovery mode.
ii) Flashing CyanogenMod 11 Custom ROM
- Reboot into the new Recovery Mode by holding Volume Up + Home + Power Button.
- Clear the cache partition, wipe out all the data and factory reset your phone. Also clear your phone’s Dalvik Cache in Advanced Options.
- After that, navigate to the same “Choose Zip from SD Card” option and select “cm-11-20140727-NIGHTLY-i9100.zip” file. Choose Yes to initiate the upgrade process.
- Now repeat the same steps again, but this time choose “7-5_GApps_Standard_4.4.4_signed.zip” file. This will flash all the necessary Google Apps on your phone.
Phew, that’s all! You’ve finally installed the CM11 ROM on your beloved Samsung Galaxy S2. Should you encounter any problems, feel free to comment about it below.
You can say thanks by giving us a +1 on Google+ or following us on Twitter.
Like this post? Don’t forget to comment! Just hit the share buttons below to share this article with your friends on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter.