HTC M8 owners rejoice! You guys can now upgrade your One M8 (aka HTC One 2014) to the latest Paranoid Android custom ROM based on Android v4.4.4 KitKat OS. Using the easy step-by-step tutorial given below, all you need is an unlocked bootloader and root access on your phone and you’ll be running the newest version of Paranoid ROM in no time!
So, care to have some? You bet!
Download Paranoid Android 4.4.4 KitKat Custom ROM
Click here (183.19 MB – MD5 Sum: e60a62cabd82379de7e972daa420a395) to download Paranoid v4.42 (Android 4.4.4 KitKat) custom ROM for HTC One M8. You can download all the recommended PA KitKat Gapps (Google Apps) here, which you’re going to reflash later.
Install PA 4.4.4 KitKat ROM on HTC One M8
Before you get along, do make sure that you’ve already taken care of the prerequisites necessary for this upgrade. Otherwise, you can end up messing with nothing but a bricked phone. Read the following upgrade requirements carefully.
- Make sure your phone is HTC One M8/One 2014.
- A USB cable with the latest HTC USB drivers installed on PC.
- USB Debugging Mode enabled in Settings > Developer Tools.
- Unlocked Bootloader with a custom recovery and root access on phone.
- At least 70% battery left.
- Full backup of existing apps, contacts, messages and other important data on phone. After flashing a new ROM, your phone will be reset to factory defaults and its entire memory will be wiped-out.
Disclaimer: Although, this custom ROM has been fully tested by developers and other M8 users, neither we at Carbon Tesla nor the devs will be held responsible if your phone gets bricked during or after the upgrade. After flashing this Paranoid (or any other ROM), your warranty goes void and you’ll have to pay HTC to get your phone repaired (which is very unlikely though). Anyway, proceed entirely at your own risk!
2. Installation Procedure
- Make sure you’ve downloaded the aforementioned pa_m8-4.44-20140722.zip” and Gapps packages.
- Copy these files to the root directory of your phone’s SD card.
- Now, disconnect the USB cable and turn off your phone.
- Next, reboot into the custom recovery mode. To do this, just press and hold Volume Down + Power Button to enter the Bootloader. In the Bootloader, select “recovery” to enter your phone’s recovery mode.
- In the Recovery Mode, select “wipe data/factory reset” option and then “wipe cache partition” to completely wipe out the internal memory.
- After that, go to advanced > wipe dalvik cache to clear current system’s Dalvik Cache. This step is recommended if you don’t want to face bootloop issues.
- Done? Good. Now select “install zip from SD card” option and choose “pa_m8-4.44-20140722.zip” file to initiate the upgrade process. It’ll take a few minutes.
- Repeat the above steps, but this time choose “pa_gapps-stock-4.4.4-20140708-signed.zip” file to reflash stock Google apps.
- Once you’re done, reboot your phone normally. The first boot can take up to 5 minutes.
Note: If you’re already running a previous version of Paranoid custom ROM (v4.x), you don’t need to factory reset your phone. Just apply the zip update over the pre-existing Paranoid ROM and you’ll be good to go.
Paranoid Android 4.4.4 KitKat ROM should now be up and running on your One M8. That was really easy, wasn’t it? If you encounter any problem, feel free to mention it in the comments below!
Don’t forget to comment about your experience with this update! Just hit the share buttons below to share this article with your friends on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter.